A Stepping Stone Club

Home | 08 February 2018

After Extra Time
(FC OLYMPIQUE 13 Won 4-3 on Penalties)

Match Report

EUROPA Point returned to action on the new Victoria Stadium surface for the first time as we went out of the Gibtelecom Rock Cup at the second round stage with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out defeat at the hands of FC Olympique 13 after the tie finished 2-2 at the end of 90 minutes.
The opening exchanges saw our opponents start with purpose as they saw more of the early ball to keep us on our toes.
Our first sight of goal came on eight minutes when a neat ball from Christian picked out Alexis who dragged his effort wide of the target from a good position.
As we started to get into our stride, Christian saw a header saved by Perez in the FC Olympique 13 goal.
It was proving to be a tight affair with both sides cancelling each other out and chances at a premium at either end.
We fell a goal behind on 21 minutes when a corner found Ritchie who fired home from close range to give Alvaro no chance.
We were behind for just seven minutes before Christian marked his return to the club by finding the net to level matters.
Shortly afterwards there was a good chance for our opponents when Casciaro made progress out wide before crossing for Montovio who fired over the crossbar after finding space inside the area.
The same two players linked up again in the next attack as our opponents started to get the upper hand as the clock ticked down in the first half.
Right on the stroke of half-time, Christian was denied by a well-timed challenge as he looked to pull the trigger as it remained 1-1 going into the break.
Some trickery from Christian saw him cause problems for the opposition defence soon after the restart as he went close with an effort.
It was a lively return to the club from Christian who was seeing plenty of the ball as he looked to make things happen.
Alexis was denied by a smart stop from Perez before a couple of yellow cards in quick succession saw Eusebio and then Christian have their names taken by the referee.
We were looking the most likely side as the game went on but that all-important second goal eluded us.
The goal that we had threatened finally arrived five minutes from time and it came in somewhat controversial circumstances when Juanma was adjudged to have been brought down inside the area by the on-rushing Perez and the referee pointed to the spot.
It was Christian who stepped up to fire home and make it 2-1.
There was still drama to come as our opponents pushed for a leveller and it came with the last kick of the game through Casciaro who used his experience to fire home from distance and send the tie to penalties.
The penalty shoot-out ended in a 4-3 defeat for us as we exited the competition and our left to focus on our bid for promotion.

EUROPA POINT: Alvaro, Rafa, Stefan, Antonio, Gerardo, Eusebio, Alexis, Juanma, Chapeto, Aidan (Nono), Christian. Subs: Yannick, Jamie, Palmero, Salva.

Match Photo's